Mobility allowance

The mobility allowance compensates for commuting and removal & relocation costs when you start a job that is located far away from your current place of residence. You can claim mobility allowance before the commencement of actual employment if you start training related to an employment relationship that will last at least two months.

This allowance will be paid if

  • you receive a daily allowance just before starting the job or training and
  • your journey to work is equivalent to a round-trip of more than three hours a day for full-time work or more than two hours a day for part-time work and
  • the length of your employment relationship must be at least two months.

Mobility allowance can also be paid if the daily allowance is not payable before the start of work due to a waiting period, an obligation to work or a personal liability period.

In full-time employment, the mobility allowance is worth approximately EUR 800 per month. In part-time work, the mobility allowance is paid for working days completed at a rate of EUR 37.21 per day. If a job located more than 200 km from your place of residence, you may also receive an increased allowance. Increased allowance is about EUR 914  per month.

Duration of mobility allowance payment:

  • If your job lasts for at least 2 months, the allowance will be paid for 1 month
  • If your job lasts for at least 3 months, the allowance will be paid for 1.5 months
  • If your job lasts for at least 4 months, the allowance will be paid for 2 months

Apply for mobility allowance

You can apply for a mobility allowance from your unemployment fund. You can send your application for a mobility allowance to your unemployment fund as soon as you have signed an employment contract. You must apply for a mobility allowance within three months of the start of your employment.

Attach a copy of your employment contract to your application.

Download the form: Forms (in Finnish)

Apply for the mobility allowance for the whole duration of your employment. The allowance is paid retroactively in four-week periods. The first payment period may be shorter.