Join an unemployment fund, when you move to Finland
Why is it important to join
By joining an unemployment fund you are eligible for an earnings-related allowance based on your salary level. If you do not belong to an unemployment fund, you will receive the basic unemployment benefit from Kela.
|Salary before unemployment / month||1 500 €||2 000 €||2 500 €||3 000 €||3 500 €||4 000 €|
|Earnings related allowance (year 2022) / month||1 054 €||1 269 €||1 485 €||1 700 €||1 897 €||1 993 €|
|Basic allowance (year 2022) / month||742 €||742 €||742 €||742 €||742 €||742 €|
When can you join
When you move to Finland, you should join an unemployment fund as soon as you start working. By becoming a member, your work will start to accumulate the right to earnings-related unemployment allowance. You can normally only join a fund when you are working or have started a business.
If you move to Finland from another EU country, you can join an unemployment fund while unemployed for a limited time. In this case your work history from another EU country can normally accumulate your right to unemployment security in Finland. In most cases you have one month to join, starting from the day you move to Finland or from the day you quit your last job. Ask for more information on joining at unemployment funds’ customer service and join a fund as soon as possible.
How do you join a fund
You can join a fund by a membership application. Applications are available at the funds’ websites. You can find all Finnish unemployment funds here: Funds’ contact information. You can also join an unemployment fund and ask for instructions especially if you are moving from another EU country. If you move to Finland from another EU country, you can join an unemployment fund while unemployed for a limited time.
Some unemployment funds are sector specific which means working in a particular field is a requirement for joining. Some require a specific training. In addition to this, there are non-specific funds which anyone can join.
Members of unemployment funds pay a fee that funds part of the benefits and costs. A person earning 3 000 euros a month pays an average of 95 euros a year in membership fees. You can find all the membership fees here: Membership fees
When can you get earnings-related unemployment allowance
You can claim earnings-related allowance from an unemployment fund if:
- You are wholly or partly unemployed (e.g. in part-time work or laid-off)
- You are seeking full-time employment and have registered as an unemployed job-seeker with the Employment and Economic Development Office (TE Office)
- You are a member of an unemployment fund
- You have been in work for 26 weeks (approx. 6 months) while being a member of an unemployment fund.
If you move to Finland from another EU country and join an unemployment fund fast enough your work history from another EU country can accumulate your right to unemployment security in Finland. In such cases you can often claim earnings-related unemployment allowance only after four weeks of working in Finland.
What do unemployment funds do?
In Finland there are 17 unemployment funds for employees and one unemployment fund for the self-employed. There are about 2 million members in these unemployment funds.
Unemployment funds pay their members a earnings-related allowance during periods of unemployment.
Moving to Finland: Guide on unemployment funds
- Tietoa ansiopäivärahasta ja työttömyyskassoista Suomeen muuttavalle
- Information om inkomstrelaterad dagpenning och arbetslöshetskassor för personer som flyttar till Finland
- Moving to Finland: Information on earnings-related unemployment allowance and unemployment funds
- Teave palgapõhise päevaraha ja töötukassade kohta Soomesse kolivatele isikutele
- Информация для переезжающих в Финляндию об исчисляемых на основании дохода от трудовой деятельности суточных и кассах выплат
- Informations sur les indemnités journalières liées aux revenus et sur les caisses de chômage pour les personnes qui viennent s’installer en Finlande
- Información sobre la prestación general y los fondos de desempleo para inmigrantes en Finlandia
- Finlandiya’ya göçmen olarak gelenler için kazanca dayalı işsizlik ödeneği ve işsizlik kasaları hakkında bilgiler
- Macluumaadka ku saabsan lacag maalmeedka shaqo la’aanta iyo khasnadda shaqo la’aanta, kuwaasoo loogu talaggalay dadka waddanka u soo guuray
- معلومات عن بدل الكسب اليومي وصناديق البطالة عن العمل للمنتقلين إلى فنلندا
- اطلاعات مربوط به پول روزانه مطابق با درآمد و صندوق بیکاری برای افرادی که به فنلاند مهاجرت می کنند